26 February 2006

nascar: not just for white people (yeah that's a lie); plus, dating insight!

I take a passing interest in nascar. I know people that know people so I get to hear firsthand stories about the inner workings about the France family, some of the drivers and sponsors, etc. if I was lucky enough to have a similar relationship with people in MLB then I'd probably pay a lot more attention to the Woodland Hills Angels of Huntington Beach. anyway, I'll throw a race on the TV since it's in HD and i'm not busy.
I should have done it last week for the DAYTONA 500 but I was too hung over.
some observations for this first race in Fontana:
  • An african-american woman sang the national anthem. I didn't know they allowed black people at nascar events. the field and the grandstands remain lily white. given that the US population is 12% black, there should be one or two black drivers.
  • the duff sisters are honorary race officials. 'duff said.
  • I like that the announcers recognize that this is the start of the real nascar racing season. the daytona 500 is "the great american race" but restrictor-plate racing sucks. it's just not nascar.
  • this was my favorite part of the whole deal: during the race, one of the announcers explains that tony stewart refuses to talk about last weeks race (stewart was penalized for driving too aggressively). according to the announcer, stewart tells journalists "one thing I learned about history is that no one has ever changed it!" [interesting, though unsophisticated, argument from someone that didn't finish high school] one of the other announcers, Michael Waltrip, chimes in with, "and, you don't LEARN from it!"
    indeed. you don't LEARN from history. got it. I'll write that down. so profound, and yet so RETARDO.
that's all I have, because I went to lunch with my buddy. there's only so much not learning from history that I can take.

oh yeah, in case you forgot: girls are lame. I mean it.

No comments: