13 February 2006

world whatever classic

so a bunch of overpaid steroid-addled freaks are going to get together this winter and bore me to tears in some type of athletic contest? where do I sign up to not watch/read/pay attention to this non-event?

I'm not talking about the winter olympics, I'm talking about the "world baseball classic", or MLBs attempt to grow the business outside of latin america. Mike Piazza is playing for italy, for pete's sake. Not sure if the Russian team is going to be any good, and I know that the cubans were almost banned for, umm, castro living so damn long, but i'm sure there are some third world countries where this is important. I can't find any on a map (do you know where the Dominican Republic is? what about Venezuela? I thought not).

On the upside, Cuba was finally allowed to play after they agreed to some such limitation or other. I really have no idea why they weren't going to be allowed in the first place. Human rights violations, I guess. I think selling these useless games as a form of entertainment is a human rights violation. What, exactly, did Castro do? Probably he prevented people from speaking out against him. Fair enough; that is a violation of human rights. My guess is that after 30+ years of ineffective sanctions that telling Castro he couldn't play in the WWC was the last straw. He has had all he can take. You don't have him to, umm, saction, any more. I don't think the cuban team will have any of the defectors on it, which makes it a non-factor from a comptetitive standpoint. From an entertainment standpoint, I hope Castro tells Bud "Milquetoast" Selig to Get Fucked.

re: the superbowl - way to play it, Big Ben. You looked good out there. And by "good" I mean "extremely bad". Seahawks, not much better. You played just bad enough to lose to a team that didn't look good enough to win.
thanks for reading.

No comments: