25 August 2010

Moar comments on the comments: Belstaff 'Snetterton' jacket

Reader Erik inquires about the heroically awesome jacket I bought last year (pictured, though not on me - only full-face helmets for Case-Sensitive). I ordered mine from urbanrider.co.uk; I'm looking forward to visiting the shop in person when I'm in London in a couple weeks.

Erik writes:
love belstaff!
i live in SCal too and was wondering how hot your jacket gets re: venting etc...
thanks!
 -----------------

Good news and bad news, Erik. The bad news is the jacket has no venting. As in, none. You can open the front zipper a bit, but that's all you get. It's way too hot for summer, but if temps are in the 60's or 70s then it's fine as long as you're not sitting in traffic. Mid-70s is pushing it a bit, but if you're moving the whole time it's okay.

The good news is that it is the warmest leather jacket I have ever worn; I have ridden it in 45 degree weather with a long-sleeved shirt and a scarf (to keep the wind from blowing down your neck) and been very comfortable. It comes with a removable vest liner but I don't bother with it. The only way air gets in is at the collar. That makes it a 2-ish season jacket in southern CA. Late fall, winter, and early spring. Once the weather warms up you will reach for something that moves the air over your body to keep you cool.

It's still the best looking jacket I've ever seen; people ask me about it every time I wear it. My modern Dainese gear is a bit more comfortable, but not quite as bitchin'. Even people that don't like motorcycles love this jacket.

One last thing: you might know this already, but vents in a leather jacket will help keep you from overheating, but any jacket in temps over about 72 will end up making you sweaty. The vents just cool you off.

No comments: