02 August 2010

I am an international financier, part the VIII

Long time readers will recall that I'm a fan of kiva.org, mostly because your money goes a long way there. Such as when you loan a guy $25 and it funds his loan. So I funded Marco Molina. I think he's good for it. Loan description:

With this loan he wants to buy special machines and tools for wood working. He has experience in this line of work and he knows how to use these machines and tools. He has very good customers and he wants to be more efficient in his work. For this reason he sees the need to modernize his equipment so that he can do the best job possible and earn a better income for his household.

I also prefer the smaller loan amounts. I can't relate to a guy/group that needs $3000 to improve their business. Well, I can, but who doesn't need $3000 to improve their quality of life? So instead I focus on small amounts where the money makes a bigger difference. As with Arlene Matildo:

Arlene Matildo is from the village of Dinas, Sinacaban, Misamis Occidental. She is 39 years old. Arlene is married and has 1 school-aged child. To make a living, Arlene owns & operates a business venture in the agriculture sector raising livestock. While not the only means for generating revenue, the main source of income for the business comes from raising pigs for sale.

I went ahead and funded her entire loan. Heck yes! That's what I call making a (small) difference. And she'll probably give me the money back, so I can give it to someone else. So that's fun. Almost makes up for spending my Saturday at the racetrack, losing money watching horses run in circles.

No comments: