05 August 2010

I almost agree. Almost.

You wouldn't know it to look at me, but I'm a huge hit at cocktail parties, mostly because I know a lot of funny stories and can talk about pretty much anything with pretty much anyone. And also because I make sure to clean up after my roommate when he breaks something, like his soul. ZING!!

Anyhoo, one of the many things that makes me a preferred guest at soirees, galas, campfires, mixers, and meet-and-greets (besides my impeccable dress sense and fine table manners) is that I read a lot, and then I can talk about it later. At length.* And I'll read just about anything, depending on the circumstance.

The fun thing about the intarwebs is that you can find much good out there to read, and it's free! But where to begin? Well, a website I enjoy is compiling a list of the 'best magazine articles' as voted on by the reviewers/readers. At the time of this writing I am very pleased to see that my favorite long-form author is doing well in the voting, although he's recently been edged by a famous Gay Talese Sinatra article from 1966, and a wildly overrated (yeah I said it) Hunter S. Thompson  piece on the kentucky derby. For my money, though the Federer article is genius, Wallace's best work is Shipping Out (PDF), though it's only got 3 votes (at present). The full list:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/the-best-magazi.php

It's a matter of taste, but if you're looking for something good to read, start there.

Highlighting an unexpected favorite, this article about DeBeers and the diamond business will change the way you see the world. Or at the very least it will change the way you see jewelry: Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond?

Also, you know what's cool? Cafe racer motorcycles with a kick start. More on that shortly.

Special bonus if you know what movie this is from: "An Irishman must talk to God in order to find his equal in conversation." Brother Spud excepted, on account of it's his favorite movie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Braveheart! The almighty says, 'Don't change the subject, just answer the fuckin' question.'
Also a favorite: "God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're fucked."