13 August 2010

Who's hungry? (part III)

The Observer (weekend edition of the Guardian) is publishing a list of the fifty greatest cookbooks. They were nice enough to put 11-50 online so I could have a look through.

In my unstudied opinion it's a nice combination of old and new. There are many cuisines, regions, styles and similar subsets of cooking represented here, which I quite liked. What I also liked: nothing about light, cooking light, low fat or similar. I hope not to see any of that ilk in the top 10.

Comments:
  • Surprised to see Mastering the Art of French Cooking at number 21. That book changed the way people thought about food in the US. But I guess it's the 'best cookbooks', not 'most influential'.
  • Pleased to see the Chez Panisse cookbook at number 11.
Predictions to make the top 10:
What does the picture have to do with food and cookbooks? Nothing. But I liked it and wanted a picture for this post, so here we are.

No comments: