17 August 2010

La Jolla - Day 1 Summary

First day of training was painfully slow. I asked one other reasonably savvy attendee about the pace when I bumped into him on the elevator and he agreed that it was ponderous. The instructor is teaching to the lowest common denominator. And he goes... so... slowwww... zzzzz

The stuff we covered on the first day was so basic that if you can't figure it out on your own then you probably aren't qualified to do the job. These people are supposed to write software user support for a living and they can't navigate basic operations in simple software. dur. So the next time you bump into user support that sucks, it's not necessarily that they farmed it out to India, it's that people are dumb. (And also probably because they farmed it out to India).

Even with all that, there were some highlights:
  • Photo of Becks with some lovelies. Thanks to my friend Sonia (far right) for the pic. I double checked to confirm that he is indeed just as dreamy in person as he in pictures. Apparently he's 'even better in person'. A ha.
  • Guy in front of me is sharp, but new to help. He took notes all day in Corel Draw or MS paint or something, so that whenever the instructor drew a diagram or example he would draw it up and make notes on his canvas. First I was like ??? and then I was like :-o
  • Breakfast Tuesday was a country-style french toast at The Cottage. It was gooooooooood. Except you kind of want to go back to bed when you're done eating it. 
  • Yoga awkwardness. I decided that story gets a post of its own.

No comments: