30 July 2010

Well that's just about the coolest thing I've seen today - '76 CB750 Cafe Racer


Occasionally I troll the interwebs looking for motorcycles, because motorcycles > just about anything and even though I'm not in the market for a bike (a guy with no garage of his own isn't allowed to have more than one motorcycle) I know people that are looking for bikes and ask me about bikes and blah blah blah. Who cares? Motorcycles are awesome. 

I've been browsing cafe racers, especially mid-70s Honda's that have been converted into cafes. There's a big subculture surrounding these bikes. You can get a CB350 for a song, and they are awesome as long as you (or someone you know well) can do the work, you're not too particular about how consistently it starts, and you don't plan to take it on the freeway. I'm a bigger fan of the CB750, because it's got a little more snap and I think they look cooler. They also have a reputation for for being more reliable than the same-era Norton's and Triumphs (although the British bikes have more cred). And they're affordable, where the Triumphs and Nortons cost a fortune.

There's a guy not far from me that does some fantastic work on CB750 cafes. He's not much for web design but he does jaw-dropping work on bikes: http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=1&PHPSESSID=aca4f00818f06bb48f6858699af4867a

And also here: http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=2&id=88

Pictured is a bike I found on clist that made me do some serious reconsideration of my no garage / one bike rule. Can't believe you can get something that cool for $5000 (I know it says $5500 but I bet if you showed up with $5k the guy would take it). I'm pretty sure I'm not cool enough to own it so I sent it to a rocker friend of mine. He's in the same boat as me, so I'll have to admire it from afar. If i weren't getting my eyes fixed next week I MIGHT have to go take a look at it (pun intended).

No comments: