07 July 2010

Gallimaufry time!


We're all over the place today.
First things first, some jackass stole my sunglasses, earphones, and gym card (??) from my car. When it was parked in front of my house. In the leafy suburbs. So that means I get the inconveniences of living in the suburbs (shitty commute, can't walk anywhere, lame neighbors, shitty food, no nightlife) AND the inconveniences of living in the city (petty crime). Compounding the general irritation of having some punk steal my stuff from my car in a neighborhood full of $750,000 (and up) homes, my sunglasses were prescription. That means they were a) very expensive, and b) useless to anyone but me. So that happened. Just to be clear: San Clemente cops are available to write speeding tickets and parking tickets, but not available to protect you from, you know, actual crime. Is it a coincidence that tickets generate revenue, but crime does not? No it isn't. Fuck you very much, Sheriff's Department.

Adding additional financial insult I got my jaywalking ticket in the mail from when I jaywalked across an alley against a red light in Long Beach last month. $174. Not exaggerating when I tell you it was a single lane, three paces wide, at night, with no traffic (light was timed, so no cars coming). But I did break the law, and for that I will pay. Way to protect and serve, officer. Doubtless there were no other laws being broken that deserved your time and attention. Hardly any crime in Long Beach, anyway.

In more pleasant news, a simple recipe for bread pudding. The story of the recipe's origins warmed my heart. As for the recipe, they recommend brioche or pound cake, but I'd suggest a regular french bread. The brioche or pound cake would make a very, very heavy bread pudding. Bonus tip: Whatever you do, use a fresh-baked bread from your local bakery. Bagged-in-plastic breads are made with preservatives that prevent your bread from getting properly stale, which is what gives a good bread pudding a proper crispy/soggy texture. And invite me over if you make some. I love bread pudding. A lot.

1 comment:

Kahuna Ben said...

I never got my ticket? I guess that means when I get pulled over 6 months from now I'll get arrested on a warrant and it will end up costing me like $2K instead of $174.