26 May 2006

great bar; crazy behavior; good (free) music

spent last night wandering the mean streets of costa mesa, in search of a place to listen to some music. I made my way over to detroit bar, which is an okay hangout, except they get carried away w/ the cover charge sometimes.

last night, they wanted $15, and $10 was my cutoff. I didn't know who the dj's were, and I wasn't on the list, so I just said, umm, no thanks. it was before 10. and I was home a little after 11. not going to pay that kind of $$ to hang out at a bar for 1 hour. so I went across the street to a more chill spot, no cover, dj inside, but he was behind the bar so he put on a record of Rolling Stones greatest hits (a formidable record) and just let it run. when the music ran out, he shouted, "somebody flip the record over!" so they did. It was cool. had good beers on tap and in the bottle, and they even had a $5 brown bag special, which was a 32 oz. bottle of Miller High Life, served in a brown bag. on the bar. drawback: it's beer/wine only. so if you want a cocktail you're out of luck. but if you want a place that's unpretentious and chill, then it's cool. and they usually have good music. Avalon in costa mesa. get there.

this happened yesterday: my roommate was at lunch w/ a girl visiting him from out of town. he told her before she came out that he would pay for everything. (the money was an issue, apparently: not that she couldn't afford it, but that she didn't want to spend it - probably you can see where this is going?) so they're at lunch, and the girl goes to get the check. he says, "no, I'll get it."
the visiting girl, "no, you've been paying for everything. I'll get it."
guy: "I said I would pay, and I'll pay. let me get it."
girl, "no, I'll get it."
guy: "Okay, since I'm taking you to a nice dinner."
girl: "i'm really full, so I don't know about dinner, but I'll get lunch."
[girl pays for lunch]
[fast-forward 4 hours] - girl is pouting, but why? she tells him: "I am upset that you didn't pay for lunch earlier today."
wait, what?
her explanation: he said he would pay for everything, AND he should have known that they weren't going to dinner when she said she was full at lunch.
so that happened. you can add this to the list of red flags, under the heading "when the girl says one thing, and then says the opposite thing just a few hours later, because she's a crazy person." hopefully the roommate will show some sense and not talk to her ever again.

on the upside, they posted some new dj sets over on http://www.djrel1.com/. the first mix (Brio - Below the Belt Show 04.17.06) is downtempo and has way, way too much talking (boooooooo). the second, Brio - Below the Belt Show 04.17.06 pt2, is some solid breakbeat, if you're into that. I DO recommend that one. you can also find some really good breakbeat mixes over at breaksfm.com. I'm on a mission to fill my 40 GB ipod w/ quality mixes. it's a work in progress, but i'm up to the challenge.
love you. -c-

No comments: