05 May 2006

avian battle royale; lakers let me down

0615. as in, six minutes past 0h-six-hundred-hours. that's what time the European Starling (for sure one of the top five ugliest birds i've ever seen, check photo at left) and the common crow decided it was time to go birdo-y-birdo right outside my open window (mild weather in the OC, so the window was slightly open, as per usual).

I have no love for the crow, since it's beyond annoying with it's "CAWWWWW CAWWWW" calls and middle-manager tendency to crap on everything. However, at least it's a native species, and you have to admit, he does look good in black.

The starling, on the other hand, is
  • hideous
  • obnoxious
  • an invasive, imported species; many wildlife rescues won't even take them
  • a great reason to own/operate a high-powered pellet gun
  • bullet point
  • bullet point
and it has set up shop in my roof space, so I have to get on a ladder, put myself at risk and try to evict those f*ckers. so far, they are winning. anyway, these two, the rat with wings and the man in black, decided have it out in front of my window. it went on for about 45 minutes, during which time I thought about getting a cat (too ineffective), a snake (too Animal Planet), poison (too indirect, might get harm someone besides the starling), or a gun (yahtzee!). i had no idea one of these was available. I'll let you know how it works out.

not sure if the public will approve of my wildlife management policies. too bad.
some people, probably from the save-the-seals camp, have set up websites devoted to saving baby starlings. because there clearly aren't enough of them already.
-----------------------------
some anxiety from the morning might have been left over from the Lakers sucking last night. sports is modern escapism, and it's easy to overinvest in something, esp. when you have no effect on the outcome. I did this last night w/ the lakers, and my commitment, my energy, were not rewarded. it's not their fault, it's just a game. it's my fault for letting the loss affect me in a negative way. there is no reason to scream at the television. no reason. even if "Smush" Parker misses every shot and slouches around the court like a pouting teenage girl. Playing poorly is one thing, but not giving maximum effort? In a closeout game? I let it get to me. that is my fault. won't happen again.
-c-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just so happen to be a tree-hugging save-the-seals type of guy myself and wanted to point out that evicting invasive species is fundamentally different than the wanton killing of any species –read baby seals- for the fashion of the rich. Sure there are people who cry foul cuz seals as charismatic megafauna are fucking cute, but first off they are morally correct in their outrage and second respect for nature in any form is desperately needed as we face staggering losses of biodiversity world-wide which undercut the fundamental resiliency of the biosphere to change. Change which is precipitated in no small part to our combustion of fossil fuels. I vote for the beach ball method. and once the birds are gone you can hang it over your turntables.

peace

b