05 January 2006

Dear USC Dynasty: suck it; Texas knows cheerleading; and: Vegas on NYE = Hell on earth

Yes! Yes! Yes! why! eee! ess! YES!
I've been away for a bit. I was out of town for NYE, visiting Las Vegas. That's a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again. More on that later.

The most important thing we can talk about in today's entry is what excellent news it was that USC lost last nights national championship game. If you're reading this then I don't need to give you all the details. Suffice to say that the game lived up to the hype, and that USCs winning streak came to an end. I live in USC central, and there are few things more annoying the USC fans that didn't go to the school. (Maybe Notre Dame fans that didn't go to Notre Dame.) One thing more annoying than fans that didn't go to the school are the fans that did. USC grads just suck (with some exceptions). It's possible that rich, white american high school kids already have a strong sense of entitlement and superiority before they get there, but USC must put arrogance on the curriculum, because the students seem to master it before they graduate. I don't even notice when someone from USC doesn't remember that we've already met a couple times, or that we have mutual friends. If you didn't go there then you don't rate.

Thus it was nice to see USC lose so I don't have to hear about how great they are for the next 3 months. they will contend next year and beyond, because they have a good program and they're on TV a lot. But the streak is over. And not a moment too soon.

Re: Texas and cheerleading - they do it right down there. For better or for worse, cheerleading is SERIOUS business down in Texas. When you are a boy growing up in Texas you want to play high school football. If you're a girl, you want to make the cheerleading squad. (this is outlined at length in the seminal book on hs football in texas, Friday Night Lights.) Cheer at UT Austin is a big deal, and I have to give the UT squads props for being much, much cuter than the USC cheer squad. SC had the edge in outfits (best cheer outfits in any sport, college or pro), but Texas girls were way cuter, and there were a lot more of them. respect.

Finally, I have experienced hell and it looks like Vegas on NYE. I didn't know what I was getting myself into but I went to the strip on NYE and next thing I know I was having a freakout. at one point I just picked my feet up and there was so much crowd pressure i just hung there, continuing to move in whatever direction the crowd took me. not a good feeling. lots of screaming, anxious people. tens of thousands. no room to turn around or control your direction. just thinking about it gives me the willies. yuk. don't do it. ever.
fireworks were pretty good, though.
and my friend Dave showed us some sweet, sweet moves on a stripper pole.
go to my myspace page for pix: http://www.myspace.com/casewriter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tivo is a great invention, right up into the point where it stops 1 minute into the fourth quarter. See, the networks only block out 3 1/2 hours for the game, and then of course, as history proves over and over again, the Rosebowl goes over the allocated 3 1/2 and I get the royal shaft sitting starry eyed in front of the teli with a bowl of half eaten popcorn and higher blood pressure levels.

Sweet. Go Longhorns, maybe all those Trojan fans will switch to the Clippers from the Lakers once they make the playoffs. Winning teams are easier to root for.