16 January 2006

FDV caption winner; looking for roommates; paying for lunch; and can we please get back to firing the fuck out of dick vitale?

greetings from the OC.
the FDV caption winner was submitted by B-Real in his guest post. "March of the Mondays", while not as original as some of the others, made me laugh the most. Scooter MacGruder pointed out that everyone in the picture (see below) is looking off in some other direction, which I hadn't noticed and found very amusing. Thanks to all the participants. B-Real, the check for $6 is in the mail. Or I'll just buy you a twack when I see you. I can probably get a deal on the PBR up there in the frozen north.

this just in from the FDV wires: looking for a new roommate kind of sucks. a lot.

re: paying for lunch, I got sandbagged by a pro this weekend. I go to lunch with my homie that writes the new http://donttouchmystuff.blogspot.com and he says that today is his big day: he's going to pay. I say, damn, I forgot my ice skates, did hell freeze over? he says very funny, suck it, let's have lunch. so we eat a nice lunch at the gypsy den (okay food, very cute wait staff), and his girlfriend (works there) sorts it out so that there is no charge. I was thinking maybe a discount, but free? [I heart independent eateries. good luck getting your lunch comped at TGI Just ate a Crappy meal at a mall-day's.] anyway, we can't leave without dropping a tip, but of course mr. "today is my big day to 'buy' lunch" doesn't have any cash. not one red cent. so who comes out of pocket? me. as per usual. enh, at least the company was good. maybe good-ish. fair. we'll say fair.

let's talk about dick vitale a little bit, because we haven't had a chance to look at his idiocy for a couple of weeks now.
fortunately this hiatus has worked to my advantage, since The Dick has literally clogged espn.com with his inane commentary (as opposed to me, who just fills my blog with inane commentary). the dick still flat-out sucks, but it gets kind of old just picking on him. he says the same thing over and over again, and while that works really well for him, it doesn't make for very entertaining blogging.

we'll hit a couple items, just for kicks. the Dick's verbage in glorious bold, my responses/commentary in plain text.
from the Stock Watch on 10 jan:

Former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick for being thrown off the team and then being arrested for brandishing a weapon at a McDonald's. It is a sad story.

A sad story? It's a story of a spoiled brat making one bad decision after another. A sad story is when you find out your friend has cancer. A sad story is two strong, handsome cowboys having a torrid love affair, and then getting torn apart by society and their own... huh? oh, I got carried away. my bad. uhhh, where was I? Vick is not a sad story. He's an asshole.
this from Roundball Chalk Talk on 16 Jan:

At Missouri, coach Quin Snyder would be the first to tell you that pressure has mounted about his job status.

"pressure has mounted about his job status?" what does that even mean? How many grammatical errors are there in that sentence? Let's do a rewrite, as if we were in sixth grade: Quin Snyder would agree that if he doesn't win more games his job is at risk.
moving on...

All he has done is rolled up his sleeves, gone to work and shut the critics up by beating Oklahoma State and Oklahoma (in Norman). That's the quickest way to silence your detractors.


Umm... yeah. So you're saying he did his job, got some wins? That's weird, because I am under pressure to do my job, too. And the way I "shut the critics up" is to do my job. Quin, big ups from FDV for doing your job. I wish I had a howler monkey like Dick Vitale to stand up for me at my place of employment. Then I could really "silence my detractors" by doing, umm, what they hired me for. It would reduce the mounting pressure in my lower bowel.

great job all week.

No comments: