25 January 2006

kobe scores 81 (yawn)

so Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a basketball game? 55 in the second half! it's surreal, but it happened. and we have video of it, which is one thing we don't have of the Big Dipper's game in 1961 or 62. there are a few players in the league that could score that many points in a game, but you have to be playing on a really bad team to do it, and you have to also be playing a really bad team.

I yawned about it because it's not going to help the lakers win a championship. who cares if you lead the league in scoring if your team sucks and you don't win a ring? I think kobe makes a lot of noise about winning a championship, but I'm not sure he really means it. we won't know until he gets some better players on his team. if he trusts them and works within the system then i'll believe it. Jordan won his rings with Pippen and a bunch of role players (Bill Cartwright? Steve Kerr?), so Kobe can do it, too. Whether he'll actually let that happen is unknown. I tend to doubt it. he's much too "me first". I guess he should be, but you can't do it by yourself against a letitimate (read: playoff) team.

No comments: