22 January 2006

mix tapes rule, and dancing is good for you

have mix tapes improved since the advent of cd's and cd burners? I think I only ever made one real mix tape. you know the kind, where you had to play cd's and record onto an actual tape. it took hours and hours and although I guess the tape was well received I don't think it was time well spent. it was really just a huge pain in the ass.

now, with itunes or winamp, you can put together a playlist and burn a cd for somebody in less time that it will take you to finish reading this blog entry (do one now, while you're reading this). so is the gift of the mixed cd any less significant than the one you had to spend hours and hours on back in the 80's and early 90's? I say no. I think that the advent of the burned cd is just the evolution of the mix tape. how much time it actually takes you to burn the cd is irrelevant.

what's important is how much time you spent choosing the songs, creating a mood with song order. I did a quick search on "mix tape" and found entire websites devoted to the art of mix tapes, plus a website devoted to mix tape culture that sells hip hop vinyl, cds, and dvds. Tiny Mix Tapes has their own mix tape generator, which I didn't test but seems pretty damn cool to me. And Art of the Mix is a website devoted to the fine art of making mixes. As a hobbyist dj, all this stuff is pretty cool. I invite you to check it out. I even found a site that sells vinyl, mix tapes, cds and dvds. It's not uncommon for some artists (usually urban) to break out by appearing on mix tapes. DMX, Jay-Z, and 50 Cent all got their start this way. respect the mix tape!

finally, my adopted sister is passionate about her dancing. she dosen't like to perform, but she loves to take lessons and study dance. she is scheduled to take an exam (level 8, if you're keeping score) in a couple weeks, and I wanted to give her big ups for continuing to learn, study, and practice what she loves. she claims she'll be the second-oldest person ever to study for a level 8 test (she's 31), but I say she rules for doing what she loves and challenging herself. we should all follow her example. and make mix tapes. yours should be done by now. give it to someone you care about.

No comments: