16 June 2010

Taking this web thing worldwide


I track my blog hits with Google Analytics. It's free, it's easy, and sometimes it tells me funny things about traffic sources. For example, I routinely get a couple random hits a month on the search "chris berman jerk", which is awesome. It's probably my best traffic generator. I get a spike every year for the "cougar hunter costume" post.

You can view the traffic on a map, and it's mostly of interest because almost all my multiple hit-traffic comes from places around the US, and correlates directly to my friends that live in those cities. Chicago? That's Brian. New York City? That's Sonia. You get the idea.

So imagine my surprise when I got a sudden spike in traffic. I checked and it's coming from, umm, Varanasi - a city about which I know very little, all of it gleaned from one book I liked in parts but didn't really understand. It's probably Google opening an office there and checking that I'm not posting bad news or whatever. Or maybe I have a few dedicated readers out there in northeastern India. Either way, glad to see you! :)

No comments: