23 June 2010

Landon, I owe you an apology

(Open letter to Landon "Landycakes" Donovan)

Dear Landon,
I've been mercilessly hard on you in the past. You have been American Soccer's Great White Hope for many years now, and frankly you haven't done much to deserve it. You couldn't cut it when you tried to play in Germany (twice). You were a non-factor in the World Cup in 2002 and you were awful in 2006. Yeah you were one of the best players in MLS during that span but that's small potatoes. The MLS is a backwater league where former legends come to enjoy their dotage. You did have a nice run during the Confederations Cup last year but so what? We both know that it's how you perform on the big stage that matters.

So this time, when they put you on the cover of Sports Illustrated and made noise about your recent loan spell with Everton, I was demeaning. I was derogatory. I was insulting. And I was wrong.

You have been awesome. Your work rate is superb, your touch sublime, and your ability to come through in the clutch and finish under pressure has made me scream at the television like a crazy person.

That early second-half goal against Slovenia, where you attacked the keeper with the ball at your feet and roofed it? Man, that was world-class. So easy to sky that one over the bar, or hoof it off the keeper's chest.

But that was nothing compared to what you did today. You played great from start to finish. Your service was very good. Your effort was excellent. You were one of the best players on the pitch, you were instrumental in the final push and when it came down to it you were in the right place at the right time and finished with impeccable coolness. And then I went absolutely crazyface. I yelled. I ran in circles. My friends called me so we could yell and run in circles together while on the phone. My roommate had to watch it from his office so he put on his Team USA replica shorts OVER his dress slacks. Fucking awesome.

Thanks for that.

Please accept my sincere apology.
See you on Saturday.
-case-

1 comment:

bsgarcia said...

I am not convinced the Slovenia goal was more than luck but I'll give him credit for today. I have upgraded him from abject disdain to mild indifference.