05 February 2008

fat tuesday: what are you giving up for lent?



in honor of fat tuesday and ash wednesday and carnival in Rio, here's a picture of the sambadrome when it's raining and empty, followed by a picture from the opposite end when it's crazy and full. first photo was taken from the entrance to the parade ground, with the grandstands up on the left (obscured by van) and right. The shuttered three-story grandstands on the right rent out for $2000 a night, per room, during Carnival. This picture sucks but at this point of our little bus tour I was tired and kind of over it.

For lent this year I decided to quit buying anything but the necessities (food, household goods, etc.). No impulse buys, no new books, no new tools from home depot, no new cd's, no new guitar accessories, no new clothes, etc. Because I don't want to spend the next 40 days sitting home by myself I decided I could spend money going out, but I set a budget. Mainly the focus is no new nonessential material goods. I made a list of essential goods and I think it's fairly conservative. Should be interesting. I'm still not sure if I want to go out and consume at the local mall tonight, buy a bunch of shit before lent starts. I should, because I'm out of books to read, but I think I'll have to settle for a library card. Jesus loves me.

No comments: