08 February 2008

Dick Vitale has his voice back, but he still bugs me


Dick Vitale returned to announcing basketball this week. Some people were really excited about it. I am not one of them.

I don't wish him ill. I just don't think he's good at announcing basketball games. He does not provide intelligent analysis; he huffs and he puffs and shouts and manages to say... nothing. Awesome, indeed. The combination of Dickie and Mike Patrick (of Britney Spears fame) is a good example of how far aggressive mediocrity can take you.

Where's the discussion of matchups? Where's an explanation of the offenses and the defenses run to counter them? It's nice when an announcer does some of that work for me. Or you can just scream and yell and never say anything negative about anyone, ever.

No comments: