19 January 2011

Why would you do that?

I love you THIS much
Between the camping and the impressively overequippped OC Lutheran high-school group (e.g.: 9 enormous vehicles for 33 people, not including trailers) singing Taylor Swift songs adjacent to my tent, I didn't get a whole lot of restful sleep over the weekend. Gave me plenty of time to ponder my daily gratitudes, and also evaluate my motivations for going on the build trip.

When people hear that I'm going to Mexico to build a house they often say, "Oh, that's so awesome/great/inspiring that you're doing that." Which always feels a bit odd to me, because I do not feel awesome, great, or inspired when I participate. Mostly what I feel is tired, filthy, and crabby. 

On reflection, I go on the trip because I enjoy spending time with my friends. I am glad to have a lasting positive impact on a persons life, and glad that my friend and his family make it relatively easy. The trip brings out the best in people: everyone contributes, they cooperate, they mostly don't complain, and they make the best of whatever happens. As a shared experience it's hard to beat. But without my awesome/great/inspiring friend Blair leading from the front I wouldn't do it.

1 comment: