25 July 2006

gateway giveth, gateway taketh away

the last few posts have been on world events, the current geopolitical climate, &tc. today I have something that is just as hard hitting, but a lot closer to home: Gateway is going to take back the computer that they delivered to my house in error. there was a mix-up, and I called to give it back to them, but lost&damaged doesn't work on the weekends. so the gateway guy told me to keep it until I heard from them. I never did, but the person that was supposed to get it got my address from the fedex delivery info, and sent me a letter. I sensed fraud, so I got back in touch with Gateway. turns out it was just a big mix up. oops!

I've had it for a week, and it's been a good run. I didn't do too much on it, just some configuring. I haven't had a home computer of my own since I was in college, so it was weird to have one in my room again, do some setting up. didn't even install a game.

before i boxed it back up, I made sure to delete all the personal info that might have been on there. and then, just to be safe, I went into the boot menu (press your F2 key on your pc during startup) changed all the boot drives to , and installed password security there, too. so there's no way to get the computer to boot up unless you can get that password. even if you do get the computer to boot, it'll still be stuck when you get to the login screen. it wouldn't be sporting to keep all this top-secret info to myself, so here are the passwords:

gofyourself
blowme911

that's case-sensitive, mind you. i forget which passwords went to what, but it was some combination of the two. i don't know why I felt "blowme" warranted the emergency designation, but there you are.
blogger won't let me post a picture right now. I'll do one later.

No comments: