11 March 2010

How did we get this far? Plus: Shelving the online dating

I don't like to brag*, but this is post number 750 here at GJAW. So if you're looking to waste some time looking at my wasted time then you have come to the right place. Thanks for reading.

Viewership of the blogspace is way up since Google attached this thing to the Buzz. Gmail users will recognize 'Buzz' as everything that sucks about Facebook and Twitter**, now available from Gmail. Thanks Google.

Big news this week from cyberspace: I suspended the match.com account indefinitely. You really have to be in the mood for it because meeting new people is great and all but it's a lot of work. I've got guitar to play, books to read, gyms to go to, motorcycle riding to do, people to see. Not much time for coffee dates. In any case, here's some highlights from the last tour:
  • Conflicted much? The girl who was shocked (SHOCKED!) that I don't believe in god and insisted that I accompany her to church (Saddleback). In the same conversation she asked me if I was into rough sex, and if I would be comfortable having sex with her in front of other people (because she was into that in a big way). Umm, no thanks. The end.
  • People misrepresent themselves on the internet! (I know, I couldn't believe it either). The girl who claimed she lived in CDM but actually lived in Claremont. A mere 45 miles away, through some of the worst traffic IN THE NATION. Barf.
  • The Special Bonus award for Crazy goes to the girl that IM'd me when I was on match, asked to talk on the phone. I gave her my number, so she called right away and started firing questions at me: What do you do? Where do you work? Where do you work out? What do you do there? Tell me about your job. What was your last relationship like? Are you skinny? Lean? (all of which was bizarre but whatever). When I tried to ask questions of my own (as you do when you're having a conversation) she cut me off and said, "That's not how people get to know each other, they get to know each other by asking questions - answer my questions." I'm thinking, it sounds like you need counseling, but maybe you're just socially awkward? Let's find out. 1 more minute of the Q&A and I tried to ask more questions, since it's impolite to talk about yourself at length, and also I get bored with me. She said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, people that can't talk about themselves have something to hide. That's a huge red flag for me. This isn't going to work out." And then she hung up. I was less surprised by the churchy/S&M girl than this weirdness. Awesome.
That's pretty much it. The other girls I met were normal. And I'm still single, if you hadn't heard.





* Not strictly true.
** There is nothing about Twitter that doesn't suck. Except this.

No comments: