16 April 2008

NYC in Review: day four (part 2) - trip highlight: moonwork in Greenwich Village


The funnest* thing I did in NYC was go to "an evening of original works" in Greenwich. Yeah it didn't sound all that good to me either. I was wrong, because it was hilarious. The moonwork group has a website, but the list of acts I saw will be lost to history unless I transcribe it here:

Andres du Bouchet
Shayna Ferm
John Oliver
Mike Errico
Michael Somerville
Tom Shillue

The comedy acts were surprisingly funny, the music (Errico) was good. The entire thing was well paced, went by quickly. All for $20, plus all the beers I could drink. That's what I call value for money.

My favorite line of the night was from Somerville who said, "I wait forever to do laundry. I plan my entire social schedule around the clothes I have left in my closet. My friend called me last Friday night and asked what I was doing. I told him 'based on what I have in my closet, I can either go swimming or graduate from high school'". I laughed.

As an added bonus I was chatting with some friends of friends and met one of the people who wrote the commercial embedded above. We had some laughs.

After the show we went to the bars. Weird. I hadn't done that since the night before. My personal highlight was the Journey singalong in the wee hours. I'm not sure if it was awesomely cheesy or cheesily awesome. Both?

* most fun? yeah, I went to college.

No comments: