08 February 2011

That's why my mom doesn't know I ride a motorcycle

Reader Shannon (NMSNSS) says:

Oh my gosh, do all motorcycles just come apart like that on impact??! It looked like a plastic toy. The mom in me is having a panic attack for all motorcyclists right now.

Just to be clear, that wasn't me in the crash video posted below. I use the word 'crash' intentionally. Most people use the word 'accident', but that implies that nothing could have been done to prevent it. Almost all crashes are not accidental, they are caused by negligence or carelessness.

Motorcycles don't always disintegrate when you get rear-ended. Although they are mostly plastic toys. Consider the photo here, showing my first bike after a super cute co-ed named Chelsea Schwenn (I'll never forget her name) tried to run me over while pulling away from a red light. She was looking at her iphone when she hit me. Seriously.

Very lucky for me that I was physically unharmed; the bike (and her audi) were banged up. She was mortified, very kind, and almost as shaken as I was. The only negative thing I have to say about her is that she should have been paying better attention at the wheel. But who among us isn't guilty of that? Note that it wouldn't have happened if I had filtered between the lanes to the front of the row. Only got hit because I was in regular traffic.
--------
I spent this past Sunday trying to ride a supermoto bike around a track. It was scary and fun but safer than riding in traffic. I look forward to doing it again. This weekend I've got bigger plans: riding my own motorcycle around a track. It will be similarly scary and fun, but much faster. Average speed at the kart track was maybe 30 mph? Lots of super tight turns, and also I am slow. Average speed on the track this Sunday (for me) will likely be 60 MPH, with a top speed of well over 150 MPH. Here's some links:

R6 (600 cc bike) hauling ass, with engine noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94DeHQZ1Tw

zx10 and R1 (1000cc):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EXbs6N7dj8

They claim they hit 170 on the straight, but unless it was proven by a transponder I am skeptical. Maybe an indicated 170 on the speedo, with a more likely actual of 155ish. The smaller bike (R6) was turning faster laps.
Anyway, that's what I'm doing Sunday. Palms are clammy thinking about it.

Lastly: Don't dare tell me to 'be careful'. DON'T DO IT. I'm sick of hearing it, and it has no impact on my riding. I am one of the most careful riders around. Besides, the track is the safest place to ride. Instead, encourage other drivers to 'be careful', since they represent the greatest risk to my safety.

1 comment:

Shannon Green said...

If you have to be nearly killed, I guess death by Chelsea isn't a bad way to go.

I could give you a long lecture on mom philosophy but instead I'll spare you and just say this: When you hear "be careful" from a mom type person, it usually has absolutely nothing to do with you, your behavior, your abilities, or anything else about you.

It has to do with her own insecurities about letting her child or someone she cares about do something that, if she had the power, she would put a stop to. She knows she can't stop you but she can't send you out there without some kind of parental protection and "be careful" is all she's got.

At the end of the day if you come home in one piece, she knows she's done her part by telling you to "be careful". At the end of the day if you come home in a shoe box, she knows she did all she could by telling you to "be careful".

So see, it's not about you. It's about the person who cares about you. You don't need to hear "be careful"...but they need to say it.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by...NMSNSS