05 February 2011

Let's do this!

Coincidentally, this bike is similar to the one I will be riding (though I will be slower)
Getting ready for bed early on a Saturday night because I have to get up early tomorrow and go to the track in Riverside and ride supermoto. Ohhhhhh yeah.

How early? I'll be up at 615, meeting my friends in Lake Forest at 715, and then heading out to Riverside shortly thereafter to visit the Adams Motorsports Park. There I will do all I can not to embarrass myself and endanger myself or others. And also I will try and have some fun.

I'm renting time on a KX450 that has been converted to a full-time supermoto bike. It's not a beginner bike, and this was the actual conversation that took place today when I met with Ryan and Kevin over at Metric Method* to discuss the details of renting the bike and tomorrow's track day.

Me: What kind of bike is this?
Ryan: Kawasaki KX450
Me: Is this a race bike? I am a beginner.
[Full disclosure: I know this is a race bike, because some seriously fast racer sold it to Ryan a couple years ago and he's tried to sell it to me once or twice when my own bike was getting routine maintenance. Also, do you really think a guy that owns a motorcycle service shop would run a bike that wasn't fast? No you do not. So... ]
Ryan: Hey Kev, is this a good bike for a beginner?
Kevin: (long pause) Well, you have a literbike, so your careful throttle control will help you here.
Me: (smiles nervously) Great! ehhhh...
Ryan: Okay super!
Kevin: (laughs)

This is all a warm-up for next Sunday when I take the beast to her first trackday at the AMA course in Fontana.

Aaaaaaaand... bedtime.


* Best place in Orange County to get your bike serviced. No exceptions. It's possible you can find someone cheaper but if you want a full-service shop then this is the way to go. Highly recommended.

No comments: