06 August 2007

i am a very lucky idiot


recovery from the impressive (though relatively harmless) crash continues. rumor has it i would be an internet sensation already if I had captured it on video. a ha.

here's how it went down:
speeding around a corner to keep up with my friends (who had slowed - as it happens, a wise choice), i hit a patch of sandy rocks.

turning the wheel has no effect. brakes had no effect. tried to get the rear end to spin around. that didn't work. i'm in trouble, and I've got 3 options (as shown in my brilliant diagram):
1. Make the turn
2. run into the end of a wooden fence, and very probably break myself or the bike. or both.
3. Careen into the drainage ditch.

Bike goes w/ option 2. I take option 3: launch off bike, front flip over handlebars, land in ditch/bushes. instead of disaster, i've got only some scrapes and bruises. i missed the fence entirely, and the bushes helped cushion my fall. I traded some scratches for a hard landing. it was worth it. I also had a helmet and gloves on, so that helped. and i'm an idiot. which did not help.

love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you made it. how long you been biking? i tried the trail and much prefer the road.