13 June 2006

open letter to USA Soccer, and head coach Bruce Arena

To: Bruce Arena
From: A Concerned Fan
Date: the day after your team got schooled by the Czech Republic
Subject: Redemption
Cc: the guy that runs USA soccer

Brucie, there's been a lot of press about what a good coach you are, how you're supposedly one of the best in the world at motivating your players. Some people even think you're a tactical whiz, although not everyone agrees about that. I don't know if you're much of an exes-and-ohs guy. I do know that your ego barely fits into those giant stadiums where you team plys their trade.

here's the thing, buddy: it ain't bragging if you can back it up, and your team, w/ their inflated top five ranking (utter bullshit for anyone that knows anything about football) and related press coverage, is about as far away from backing it up as I am from signing for Arsenal. that is to say, REALLY FUCKING FAR.

(speaking of signing for Arsenal, that player that scored two brilliant goals yesterday? the one celebrating in the picture? yeah, him. he'll be playing there next year.)

All will be forgiven if you can get a result against the dagos on saturday. and I mean a real result. a strong tie or a win. none of this "we gave it our all and lost a close one" bullshit. I mean, get out there, get your players in the game. let's see some of that masterful motivation, genius. I'm a believer. and you're letting me down.

------------------------------------------
full disclosure: there is some precedent for very good teams getting bounced in the first round. France didn't score a goal 4 years ago. Argentina didn't win a single game. so it's not the end of the world if you don't get a result. and yes, I curled up with my world cup match ball last night when I drifted off to sleep. so what?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is sooooo soft, who can blame you for bringing to bed.

z