17 March 2011

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

In year's past I have celebrated St. Patrick's day in grand style, usually getting to the bar before noon and carrying on into the evening. This year I'm not really feeling it, so I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe meet my friends for a beer after the gym. Not quite as ambitious as my usual, but since the usual tends towards the excessive I figure this might not be a bad thing. 

I wore no green today, in part because I don't think I own any green t-shirts, and also because I wear my ethnic irish-ness every day in my face, skin, hair, and unisex Irish name (it means 'watchful' or 'vigilant' in Gaelic). I'm not at all connected to actual Ireland - I'm a 5th generation Californian but for one reason or another my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents all married people of (mostly) Irish descent. And here we are.

I hope this St. Patrick's Day finds you well. If you raise a glass today my favorite toast is "May your house be too small to hold all your friends."  And may it be so!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: