06 September 2006

dispatch from the north: reunion?

greetings from NorCal. (hence no picture.)
hope you had a good labor day weekend.

mine was good. I had a very interesting reunion with the first girl I ever loved. you know the crazy, head-over-heels-love from when you were still an impressionable youth? i dunno, maybe it still happens to you. anyway, I hadn't seen, or heard from her, in many years, but she called and said she was passing through the OC, and did I have time for coffee? i'm not a coffee drinker, but as it happened I was very not busy. so I said sure, I'll meet you when you get here and we can catch up. last I heard she was married to some guy from school, happy as clams. umm, yeah... now for some backstory

our relationship ended badly because she cheated on me, left me for another guy. it was a bad deal. took me a while to recover. I was 18. these things happen.

so we meet for coffee. turns out she eventually married the guy from school. it's not working out. she's going through a divorce, has two kids, hasn't worked for 6 years. so now she has to find a job, a place to live, deal w/ joint custody, go through divorce proceedings w/ a bitter ex-husband, and she loses most (if not all) of the people in her social sphere. and she's single for the first time in 10 years. talk about a setback. she tells me all this and all I can say is, ummmm, i was dating a girl and now i'm not.

I really wanted to know why it didn't work out. depends who you ask, I guess. she says he changed. he probably says she didn't change. but all of a sudden your life turns upside down, and then what do you do? I guess you start over, call the last guy you remember that really loved you.
ouch.

thanks for reading.

No comments: