25 December 2005

NBA action: spurs vs. pistons; can we fire "horrendous" Bill Walton, too?; earth wind and fire tribute on Bravo

happy holidays.
I didn't get an xbox 360 so I'm watching TV instead of dorking out. I do get to enjoy some marquee NBA games today, insofar as an NBA game in December can be said to mean anything. and it's in glowing high-def, which helps.
we're blogging live, coming to you from the start of the fourth quarter. I have been watching most of the game but was too lazy to turn the computer on until i was channel surfing and discovered the Earth, Wind and Fire Tribute on Ice over on Bravo. I heard something about this but I thought it was a joke. absolutely not. this is pure magic on ice. when I got to it there was a distinctly slavic guy in a a red shirt and some sweet black vinyl pants skating in circles to a 70's classic. now, as I return during a timeout, I can see a teal-clad milquetoast couple engaging in some ice dancing that would make me blush if they weren't so sexless. after the love is gone, indeed. more on that in a minute.

thoughts from the spurs/pistons game:
* Tony Parker is ridiculously fast on the ball. he is one of only a couple players I've seen that can turn the corner ("get to the edge" in football parlance) on any player he wishes. The others are AI, Kobe Bryant, and, improbably, LeBron James. What's improbable about that is James is 6' 8" tall and 240 lbs, or only slightly smaller than Ben Wallace. yikes.

* Tayshaun Prince's shoots a jumper like an albatross lands: awkwardly and infrequently. Kids, if you're looking to copy somebody's form, please don't do as Prince does.

* The Spurs aren't nearly as good w/o Ginobili's (sp?) manic energy. They need Duncan and his fu-manchu moustache/afro combo, but they also need Manu's creativity, defense, and scoring.

* I've already seen 4 commercials for some "comedy" that features Heather Graham and her relationship troubles. I think america is ready for another sitcom about a stunningly beautiful woman that can't find a man to keep her company. I'm sure unattractive women across the country will be able to "relate". ladies, here's the deal: if you looked like Heather Graham you wouldn't have a problem finding a guy. trust me on this.

* Darko Milicicshshs (sp?) of the Pistons has the best perve 'stache in pro sports. Second place: Jake Plummer of the Denver Broncos.

* Best part about Bill Walton announcing the Pistons game is that he won't be announcing the lakers/heat game. This is the best xmas present I've gotten so far.

* Pistons dancers xmas outfits score 5 out of 10.

Bill Walton used to have a severe stutter, so I understand he's making up for lost time when he runs his mouth. But for my money he's the worst NBA announcer. He doesn't add anything to the game, and his bombastic tone distracts from the action. I'll get the incomparable Al Michaels and the decent Hubie Brown for the Lakers game. Best matchup will be Wade d'ing up Kobe Bryant. The coaches aren't going to make much noise in the papers for a christmas game. They're old pros.

No comments: