12 April 2013

Kind of a Big Deal

Irv
My writeup of Irv and his inspiring effort last Friday made the blog for our gym space. You can read that writeup here: http://www.crossfitbalboa.com/2013/04/self-discovery-and-triumph/


Not much new information is added, although BenOS (pronounced Ben-oh-ess, which is easy enough for any windows OS geeks to remember).


I had posted a link to the writeup for BenOS* to read and he liked it enough to share. So that's fun.

Yoga storytime:

Before yoga class starts there are a few minutes when everyone is getting their mats out, doing some stretching, placing water bottles and towels, chatting, etc. Some people take the opportunity to do some early warmup, or work on a pose they want to try later. Handstands are popular, but doing a handstand in the middle of a crowded room is kind of aggressive and/or douchey. I call them 'statement handstands', because it's very look-at-me. In yesterdays class a d-bag in the front row went for a statement handstand but crashed into the wall when he tipped over. It looked like he hurt his foot; his pride was sorely wounded. Ahhh what a douche.

I know exactly how he felt because it was me. It was embarrassing and also funny. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The girls that were near me didn't make fun of me at all, although I hope they had a good laugh about it after class. I did, although it makes me blush to tell the story.

Chances of me attempting the same thing at tomorrow's yoga class are fixed at 100%. Some people never learn. And my toes don't hurt any more; it was a glancing blow. Note to self: don't try to save it next time. Just let go. And move away from, or closer to, the wall. Intermediate distances are no bueno.


 



* I use nicknames on the blog because they are easier to remember and also more fun.  Also they are unique: There are many Scott's in this world, but only one Spud. Anyway, BenOS's (say: Ben-oh-esses) is funny mostly because he has a hyphenated last name that starts with the letters... wait for it... O and S.  When I asked him how that came to be, he said (actual quote), "Because my dad is a pussy."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In other words, the reduction of excitation is obviously something that the pleasure principle is all about.

cheap nfl jerseys