22 April 2013

Gear Loadout - Tactical Response Fighting Pistol

There are many like it but this one isn't mine
Spent some time last week doing some training with Tactical Response. I took their Fighting Pistol class and quite liked it. Learned a lot, go to do some cool stuff, had a good time.* Wrote a lengthy After Action Report, some of which I may post here later, but in the interest of space and limited readership appeal here's an excerpt.

It's a summary of the gear I used during the course. I wrote it in part to satirize the breathless wanking that frequently accompanies gear commentary on the intertubez. There is a huge emphasis on gear over other, more useful/practical elements, such as mindset and physical fitness. One (very nice) guy in my class was 100 lbs. overweight and wore the same pricey "tactical" pullover two days in a row, in two different colors. Dude, sweet shirt (in both colors), but how about adjusting priorities and spending some of that money on a nutrition program? It will help every aspect of your life, including your shooting. That second pullover? Not so much.

(I don't know if the same thing happens in other hobbies, like golf, but given how much advertising I see for golf clubs and related accessories, my guess is that it does. The funny thing is that the best way to be a better golfer / shooter / skier / whatever is to practice. But practice is hard, and buying crap is easy. I should know because I make the same mistake.)

My loadout for Fighting Pistol with Tactical Response: 
  • Super sweet Solomon hiking shoes (saw Haley wear them on youtubez, you know I bought that shit immediately - did you know Zappos sold tactical gear? You do now.)
  • REI cargo pants that I got on sale; they cost 1/10th as much as my Crye Precision All-Weather Field Pants but performed just as well. There's a lesson there, but fuck that noise 'cause I'm not hearing it.
  • Ares Gear Ranger belt (this belt is actually the shit; no joke)
  • Cane and Derby OWB holster with hardware that I neglected to loc-tite so one of the screws backed out (I am an idiot) – it finished the class without issue, with a Comp-Tac dual mag holder (good kit).
  • HK45 (overcompensating because I have a small penis, but thankfully large enough not to buy a .40) 
  • XS big dots, because YEAGER!!!!!111!!!11!1
  • Youth-medium sized t-shirt because I like to show off my guns at the range (see what I did there? HONK!)
  • Dead bird” hat (too tacticool to call it Arc’Teryx) with USA flag patch because I fucking love  America (not even kind of joking about loving America)
  • Enough tactical SPF 70 sunscreen for all of DevGru; the sun is a bitch, yo. 
* During intros we mentioned what we did for a living and I said I solved computer problems. After a couple hours on the line an instructor (Yeager) stopped behind me and said, "Nice shooting, geek." I laughed.

1 comment:

yancy said...

I like pistol, always want to have a gun.
  cheap jerseys