15 March 2012

Guilty pleasures

Made a list of watchable RomComs a while ago. The link below reminded me of another one I remember with great fondness: Can't Buy Me Love (1987). The summary from Deadspin covers all the important details:

 http://deadspin.com/5893117/the-shocking-proof-that-tim-tebow-and-tebowing-are-cosmically-linked

Ah, that's a great flick. For the uninitiated, CBML is a classic '80s-style comedy where a high school nerd (Patrick Dempsey) pays the popular girl (Amanda Peterson) $1,000 to be his "girlfriend" for a month. Seth Green, in his first big movie role, plays Dempsey's precocious, wise-cracking younger brother. (If you need me to tell you how it ends, you haven't seen nearly enough '80s movies.)

I haven't seen the movie in many years but it was charming and cute when I last caught up with it. I was (am) a nerd and could identify with feeling excluded and wanting to date/know the popular people. Adolescence is like that. Dempsey became Dr. McDreamy and he races cars in his free time. Lame. We all know that 2 > 4. AmIright?

Incidentally, McDreamy also appears in one of the other movies on the 'watchable RomCom' list (Enchanted), 20 years later! Well played, sir. Well played. 



1 comment:

Sweet Katie said...

Movies that make one smile, laugh, relate... those are the best. I reread your original list, and just wanted you to know that Ryan Reynolds is my movie boyfriend haha