07 February 2012

Damn a week already?

Leashes, like shirts, are always optional
The blog posts are piling up. And they do pile up. I will get to them eventually but only after I take care of other important stuff (read: Battlefield 3 and conquering Skyrim - the xbox isn't going to play itself). Also I'm taking care of The GF's dog this week (pictured), so you know that's taking a lot of my time. Scooping poop, providing lots of love and affection, that sort of thing.

// Side note: The GF tends to be much more accommodating towards Her Majesty than I do. My position tends to be, Oh the dog doesn't want to move? Too bad. Beat it, dog. But now that I am watching Her Majesty and it's just me I find myself also being accommodating. I don't spoil the dog, but I don't worry overmuch when she makes herself at home in my bed without offiicial permission. A dog's gonna be a dog whether you like it or not, so you might as well learn to like it. Or don't hang out with dogs. KnowwhatImean? //

Unrelated - Wrote some short commentary on why I ride motorcycles. So:

In some Eastern philosophies there is an emphasis on being in the moment.

What I love about riding a motorcycle is that it encourages (forces?) you to be fully present in the moment. You can't f around on your phone or the radio (though some do). You must be focused. With some practice that focus comes naturally and you can be fully present on the bike with very little mental effort: braking, shifting, acceleration all happen without thought. If you find a good rhythm you can stretch out that moment for an extended period. It is an amazing thing.

Many people go their whole lives without knowing what it's like to ride a motorcycle fast. But anyone that has ridden a motorcycle fast never, ever forgets it. Because motorcycles are awesome.

Quick Anecdote:
Was riding home on the freeway a couple months ago, just derping along, not really hurrying. Passed a guy in a small pickup. On my way by he elbows his son, maybe 5 years old, and points at my bike, and the kid is pumped. I slow down, I wave, I slow way down, do a fly by. Slow down again. Downshift so I can wind it up a little. Give the kid the thumbs up. I would have done a wheelie if I knew how.

The kid was stoked on motorcycles. He didn't care if they were 'unsafe' or 'impractical' or 'dangerous' or that insurance is expensive or that track days are expensive or tires are expensive or it's too hot or it's too cold or other drivers might kill you or that your mom doesn't approve or that you can't ride in the winter or you're too young to ride or you're too old to ride or whatever the f*ck. He just knows two wheels = awesome. And isn't that why we all learned to ride in the first place? I know it is for me.

See you out there.

No comments: