25 April 2006

"our addiction to oil is a matter of national security concern" - Mr. G. W. Bush

greetings from the OC. we're coming to you from a new office, w/ a new desk, etc and so forth. glad you could make it. i'm listening to the Matisyahu cd. it's surprisingly good; definitely the best reggae cd by a white hasidic jew that I have ever heard. i think he appreciates the musics history. most of his fans, the ones that think he's the best thing ever, not so much.

lots of fun stuff to talk about this week. none of it is interesting to you, so i'll get right back to the same old, same old.

The leader of the free world just isn't much of a public speaker. He is supposed to be very charming in person. Clinton was a magnetic speaker on the tee vee, and I've read that he is amazing in person: magnetic, charismatic, etc. i dunno. they won't let me near either one of them, because of that other thing. anyway, GW's leading quote on CNN today is the title of today's blog. speaking in public is tough, because you end up being quoted and quotes of spoken language don't read too well. so we'll just let it go for now.

I'm pretty sure that the best way to keep gas prices down is to not destabilize the region where most of that gas comes from. pretty sure. now that it's been destabilized, the best way to lower prices would be to try to re-stabilize, which is tricky when you've stepped on your dick in one country (Iraq), and you're talking about nuking it's even-more-psycho neighbor (Iran).

don't get me wrong: I like Iran, because it's nice to have an international figure running his mouth when he's more stupid than Bush. I also like how Iranian people call themselves "persian". When was the last time we had a Persia, anyway? that's like me telling people I'm celtic (hard c in celtic, thanks). it hasn't been PC to be Iranian since that unpleasantness back in the late 70's. but I digress...

getting back to the high gas prices issue, let's look again at his plan. he's going to suspend deposits to the reserves. (according to cnn) that's 30k barrels per day, in a country that burns 21 MILLION per day. again, i'm no math major, but saving one tenth of one percent of whatever you're using doesn't look like a viable savings plan to me. (the actual number is so small my calculator bugged out and gave me some scientific notation, which I will reproduce here, just for kicks: 1.428471E-3)

this blog is getting long, so I'll reproduce CNNs summary of the plan here:

The plan calls for making sure consumers and taxpayers are treated fairly, promoting greater fuel efficiency, boosting the U.S. gasoline supply and investing aggressively in gasoline alternatives.

  • treated fairly? by oil companies? whatever.
  • greater fuel efficiency? good luck with that. this is the only thing on the list that will actually work: stop using so much gas.
  • boosting US gasoline supply? the best way to overcome consumption of a non-renewable resource is to increase production? GW, go rob Peter to pay Paul.
  • Invest in alternatives? I guess. ethanol isn't it. but you never know. what about biodiesel? what about NOT DRIVING HUGE EFFING CARS EVERYWHERE and then crying about it when gas prices go up when the president you elected freaks out and invades a country after he goes to war on a concept (terror)? no? my bad.
I should have called this blog "hypocrisy on parade."
if you're still reading you're either my mom or unemployed. thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2006/04/28/notes042806.DTL