25 January 2013

Work got done

Holding the hammer like a n00b - ugh
Finished house - they plan to demo the structure at left
Last weekend we built a house in TJ with friend Blair and some other peeps. Smaller group (8+1 people) this year but with Blair's leadership and the luck of some very good weather we were able to get it done quickly.

The +1 person was the unexpected help of one of the house residents. The guy was a whiz with stucco and did an amazing amount of work during the stucco phase(s). 

I covered Blair's qualities as a project leader in previous posts so you can review that if you're in the mood. This was the Tenth Annual event, though only my 7th year of participation. I was busy some years when the weather was really cold and/or wet. Purely coincidental, I assure you.

The smaller group was surprisingly efficient. If you have a small crew you can't hide or shirk your duties. In other words, everyone has to contribute as much as they are able, regardless of how much or little that may be in terms of total work accomplished. And everyone did. So props to the team for the total commitment.

Coming back through the border line the INS official asked me if I had fun and I said, "No." I wouldn't have been in the mood for a rollicking good time anyway, in light of recent events, and this trip becomes less 'fun' with each passing year. The food was good though. I got a new recipe for arroz con leche that will knock your socks off. And also clog your arteries, which is a big part of why it is so good.

Barring a dramatic change or some other development this was my last build. It was a good one to end on.

See you out there.

No comments: