11 January 2013

A Love Story

I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
This is Reese in her winter getup (sporty jacket and hand-knitted scarf), photographed during the late-afternoon December sunset at Cliff Park in Newport Beach. I took this picture on my cellphone about two weeks ago. It's possible that she is looking at the sun and wondering why it doesn't stick around a bit longer. The sun rises and sets for her, you see. Why should it be otherwise?

We ran and played in the park that day. She was a bit more winded than usual but she had a blast. People love seeing her in the scarf, and she loves people seeing her, so she loves to wear the scarf. 

Talking of love: Reese is the most loved animal I have ever known. She isn't spoiled - she never begs, is wonderfully behaved, is endlessly patient with children, submissive and playful with other dogs. Her only requirements are that you keep her calendar full with activities and also share all the love that she has to give (which is considerable). Best. Companion. Ever.

**

I met Reese for the first time on July 13, 2011. I had finagled a date with her mom, which would have been news to her mom if she knew it was a date. My idea was for us to take Reese for a walk and then get some dinner. It worked out pretty well for a first date - we went on a lot more dates. I remember that we walked Reese around Lido Island and her mom let her run off the leash near a sign that expressly forbid dogs. Not just dogs off the leash, but all dogs, period. "She can't read, she's only five," Ambra told me, while Reese ran in circles and did awesome things awesomely. Running Reese off the leash made me uncomfortable. I got over it.

**

If you are lucky in love then you will meet people that will change how you understand the word. You know what it means, but then you find love in such a way that you discover it means something entirely different than you imagined. It's the strangest thing, but it happens.

Ambra was that for me. And for Ambra it was Reese. 

**

Reese went to the doctor for her first surgery at the end of August, 2012. She had a tumor but we didn't know what kind. She endured a major surgery and healed up very well. The initial diagnosis was a malignant sarcoma, but reports seemed to indicate that the surgery was a success. We worked through the recovery and continued on as before, though we worried. Reese seemed unaffected, which was glorious. 

**

Initially it was difficult for me to adjust to a relationship with a girl and her dog. I felt like I had to compete with Reese for Ambra's attention, and it took some time to accept that Reese would always be the most important thing in her life. Ambra later denied this is true but I know better. And after a while I could understand why she felt that way. If you knew Reese you would understand.

**

Reese developed an inflamed lymph node and a tumor on her skin just as she fully healed from her initial surgery. She had to have another invasive surgery to remove the skin tumor and her affected lymph node. The diagnosis was revised to lymphoma or malignant histiocytosis. One is bad. The other is worse.

If we were fortunate we would be able to celebrate her 7th birthday on 9 March, 2013. 

**

Eventually Ambra made what was probably the biggest step in our relationship: she trusted me to watch Reese when she was traveling on business. This was a heady responsibility (for me) and the source of considerable stress (for all involved, excepting Her Majesty). Reese has a lot of allergies so she was on a special diet, plus she needs a lot of attention. Anyone who fails to meet Reese's needs does so at their peril. They don't call them 'velcro Vizslas' for nothing. While we missed Ambra desperately when she was away, we got to know each other much better. I grew to love her almost as much as I loved her mom. I love them still.

Being the primary caregiver changes how you feel about whomever or whatever you provide care. It might change it for the worse or the better, but it will change you. When Ambra arrived home and Reese was safe and sound (albeit a pound or two heavier than when she left - I was generous with my meal portions) they were both overjoyed.

**

Reese has malignant histiosytosis. It is a virulent form of cancer. The oncologist, who has far, far too much practice at giving people bad news, broke down during the conversation. You would expect him to be less affected. Correction: you would expect it if you haven't met Reese.

**

After the second surgery Ambra and I decided that Reese wouldn't spend another moment alone in her life, no matter how long that turned out to be. She went to work with Ambra, or stayed home with me. If one of us was at the gym or grocery, the other was minding Pups. We spent days, nights and weekends doing Reese-y things. Even though she was briefly uncomfortable while she healed, she remained as sweet as ever. After a very short rest period she was back doing all the stuff she likes to do. We went on hikes. We went to the park and the school. We chased birds. We chased the ball. It was glorious.

**

The cancer didn't respond to treatment; it spread everywhere. 

**

Reese has ruined me for dogs. I enjoy other dogs and understand why people love them but for me she's all there is. She's a product of years and years of positive energy; her whole life she has known only love. Imagine what it would feel like if everyone around you loved you, all the time. Then imagine that you redirected that love outward to share it with the world. That's what it is to be around Reese. That's why she greets every day with such joy. She can't wait to get up and start spreading the love around. I take it for granted but it really is awesome.

One of my favorite activities is to pick Reese up and dance around and sing to her. It is a fun way for us to celebrate. And we celebrate a lot, because who wouldn't? Sometimes Ambra joins our dances, but mostly it is just us. Puppy loves to dance. If you tried dancing and don't pick her up she will chase you around. This song is a particular favorite.



**


I had to say goodbye to Reese this morning. The cancer in her lungs made it too difficult for her to breathe.

We took her to the vet and let her go.

**

There's something else you learn when you discover the true meaning of love: When you love something that much and have to let go of it, you're never the same.

**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great song, sad story
b