26 January 2012

You said it

This blog started out as a sports blog, years ago. Originally I kicked this thing off because I copied the guys at Fire Joe Morgan. I wanted to Fire Dick Vitale. (Unfortunately that hasn't happened. Joe Morgan did get fired, but Dick Vitale got elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Tex Winter, a man who - unlike Vitale - actually had a significant impact on the game of basketball, is not. As you might imagine, none of this has done much to ameliorate my loathing for Dick Vitale. He remains the worst kind of ignorant, blowhard shill.)

Anyway, we love the good sports writing here at GJAW, and Grantland is doing it right. This week they had the best sentence I've ever read about boxing (or fighting in general), and while I strongly urge you to review the entire article, here is the sentence:

Devilment seemed to emanate from Hopkins' body, too, a machine-like instrument not of god-given pugilistic evil, but the precision wickedness that comes with deprivation and autodidactic repetition.

Nicely done, sir.

No comments: