28 January 2010

Time for some jiu-jitsu!

Some Brazilian jiu-jitsu videos today.
Two videos featuring Romulo Barral, who weighs in at about 185ish lbs. and is famous for, among other things, making the finals in the 'open' division at world-class tournaments and occasionally winning (but also occasionally losing - most notably to Roger Gracie, who is much bigger). Barral usually enters tournaments at 'medium heavy', with an upper weight limit of 191 lbs.

As far as I can tell the submission in both videos is the same: a cross collar choke. Don't quote me, though, because it's hard for me to tell from the angle, but they do look similar. The first one is against Demian Maia in 2007. Second video is from 2009 Pan Am games.

Analyzing the second video I'm not sure I agree with the strategy of going to half-guard (easy for me to say, I know). By that I mean I don't agree with the guy that ends up on the bottom pulling to half guard, enabling Barral to go on top and put on a clinic. You want to make your opponent uncomfortable, and Barral doesn't look anything like uncomfortable in the fight; he looks like he's in command. On the other hand you want to BE comfortable, so if the guy felt comfortable in the half-guard then that's a good place to take the fight. If your opponent (Barral) is superior then at least he beat you at your own game.




Romulo Barral at the 2009 Pan Am BJJ Games from Julian Frost on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Muhammad Hassan said...

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. BJJ gear