11 November 2008

I used to love watching football

I used to love watching football. I came of age during the 80's and 90's, when the 49ers had some pretty good players and very good teams. They went from one hall of fame quarterback to another. That happens all the time, right? No? Oh.

The 49ers were the team of my grandfather, known around the neighborhood for shouting "TITTLE YOU BUM!" at the grainy television in his house in Redwood City. That would have been from 1951-1960. The man was, how to put this?, a little intense. It's not exaggerating to say that the Niners success in the 80's brought some peace to his life.

They were the team of my mother, who had a crush on Joe Montana that started in 1981 and continues to this day. (She never really had a heart for Steve, mostly because he just... wasn't Joe; I'm guessing this is more or less the story of Steve's career.)

And they were my team. I started losing interest right around the time Terrell Owens decided to read his own press. I was never super committed to the team itself; I was enamored with the players and people that comprised the team. One by one they retired, left as free agents, or were cut. I always thought loyalty to the 'team' is a joke, since it's really just a business venture in matching outfits. And the past 8-10 years for the niners have been abysmal.

And yet...

I forgot how much I enjoyed it until last night, when the 49ers were on Monday Night Football and I was home to watch the game. The spectacle! The action! The shiny maroon & gold and white uniforms of the 49ers on my HD television! Back and forth action on the field, conflict on the sidelines, a game in doubt until the final seconds! "My" team sharted away a win in the final seconds but I couldn't resist it. I forgot how much I used to love watching football.

Now if they could just get Joe to come out of retirement...

No comments: