11 April 2007

the persecution of the white and wealthy must stop!

Did you hear that those Duke lax players accused of rape had the charges dropped?

In the interest of fairness, it's nice to see their names cleared with the same enthusiasm with which they were smeared.

(Aside: in the UK, if accused of rape, your identity is kept secret - here in the states, it's only the accuser whose identity is not reported. That doesn't seem fair to me, as when Kobe Bryant was getting pummeled in the media and his accuser remained comfortably anonymous. I'm not saying a crime did or did not occur, but if you're going to report the identity of the accused, you should also report the identity of the accuser.)

Moving on, I'm glad that this terrible persecution of rich, white, boarding-school kids can come to an end. There's only so much of that I can take. And i'm not the only one. I appreciated this comment from one of the victims:

"This whole experience has opened my eyes to a world of injustice that I never knew existed."

That sounds ignorant and obtuse, which is about what I'd expect from a Duke lacross player. How much injustice do you experience when you're a rich, athletic white guy? That's part of why you went to college, to learn about that stuff, not live it. It's like you took the practical exam for being a famous athelete, except you're not famous. Just infamous. And you didn't get paid like a pro athelete.

No comments: