06 December 2006

gift cards: when you care enough to say you don't care very much; plus, new idiot HOF entry


I love gift cards, because they say so much. Mostly what they say is, "I couldn't be bothered to get you a real gift; how about I just write you a check?"

it's become increasingly popular to hand out gift cards in lieu of an actual present, esp. at gift exchanges. I know one guy that has an awkward gift exchange with his family every year ($10 max- don't spend it all in one place). A couple years ago every single person brought a gift card, and more than half (of ~9) were from blockbuster. wow. so everyone just kept trading their blockbuster cards back and forth. you kind of had to be there, but I promise it was funny, in an awkward, depressing sort of way.

don't get me wrong, the gift card is an acceptable intermediate solution for someone that lives far away, but it's not a thoughtful gift. if you don't know someone well enough to get them something, why buy them anything at all? instead, get yourself something nice. you'll both be happier in the long run.
--------------------
in other news, Ben Johnson, who freely admits to being on drugs when he was stripped of his gold medal back in '88, says that the drug he tested positive for is not the same as the drugs he was doing. but he says it in a much more believable way. to wit:

Number one, that day the drugs that they find in my system was not the drugs that I was using. Number two, Ben Johnson was sabotaged in Seoul. Somebody set me up.

you said it BJ! You deserve that gold medal, since you didn't test positive for those drugs that you were taking! wait... what?

No comments: