30 October 2005

while we're at it, let's fire Michael Irvin, too

the espn website is having some hiccups right now, so as I watch the NFL countdown on espn. I get a chance to entertain myself with the "hijinks" of the espn team: the unwatchable cris berman, vanilla steve young, idiotic michael irvin, tom jackson, and quality Chris Mortensen. the highlight of the day, aside from laughing every time the playmaker opens his mouth or appears on camera (he and Deion have a terrific, and by terrific I mean "terror inspiring", sartorial taste), was michael's interview with LaVar Arrington.
I am not a fan of Arrington, because I figured that LaVar was just a jerk who couldn't follow the team plan. in a series of ham-handed leading questions from Irvin, LaVar refused to bag his coaches, be led into saying anything negative about being a healthy scratch for games, or offer up any sort of excuse for his benching. unexpected. I would type up a transcript of the interview but i changed the channel and can't rewind. here's a quick example of irvin's skilled interview style: uhh, LaVar, doesn't it just eat you up inside when you're not on the field?
lavar: yes. a player wants to play.
irvin: yeah. but it has to eat at you, not playing.
[paraphrasing here] lavar: of course. but I want to help the team, do what I'm told, etc, etc.
irvin makes almost any guy look like he has some class, simply by being such an utter douchebag. arrington has a reputation for being obsessed with his own stats, and his freelancing is what keeps him on the sidelines, but he did a good job in the interview.

No comments: