11 March 2013

There can be only one

Grantland is holding a tournament to determine the most despised college basketball player ever.

When I read the headline the first word that popped into my head was LAETTNER. There can't possibly be any other winner. I haven't been to their fbook page to vote it but I may do later in the day. It'll be Laettner in a runaway. The rest of the players are only a mild irritant compared to Laettner, except for maybe (re)Dick. And even then (re)Dick is a vague, distant satellite orbiting the Jupiter-sized ball of enmity that is Laettner.

The problem with their bracket setup is that there are several Duke players that are easy number 1 seeds. I'll allow that Tyler Hans-Bro is a legit number 1, but he's still the fourth-ranked guy out of the 1 seeds. (re)dick is an easy #1, and you could make a case for any of the other Dook players for the third #1, even Paulus, who would probably win his bracket if he were in the 80's or 90's.

No comments: