04 March 2013

Anchors Weigh

Bear Prefers an Overwatch Position
Friend of the blog once told me 'the things you own, own you'. It's a truism. I haven't gotten a new paper book since I started reading them on my ipad. After a lifetime of reading words on the printed page it's been a difficult adjustment.

There are elements related to reading a printed book vs. the ipad that you take for granted, not least of which is the tactile feel of the pages and knowing how close you are the the end without having to think about it.

Another issue is how easy it is to watch netflix or cat videos instead of read. A book has to be very compelling to keep me from wasting time on the internet. I very much enjoy long form magazine pieces on the ipad ($5.99 Longform app is great value for money), but I'm still not all in on books.

The things you own, own you. I always thought that was a warning to avoid dead weight in material goods (and immaterial, because if you are angry then you own that, too). And it is. But in dusting off these books for the first time since unpacking them (an overdue chore) I realized that the things you own can also be an anchor when you're feeling adrift. It was unexpected.

See you out there.

1 comment:

Sweet Katie said...

I haven't added any books to my permanent bookshelf for awhile (instead I read and pass them on), but when I try to get rid of any of my favorites, I just can't do it. Favorite books are like old friends. They're always there for you when you need them : )