07 May 2012

MCA died last week

MCA, aka Adam Yauch, died of cancer last week.

When I was a young lad the Beastie Boys broke big around the time I reached middle-school age. They were the benchmark for cool then and they retained that cache for me pretty much ever since. Most recently I saw them interviewed on teevee several years ago and noticed that their hair had gone grey. My own hair had just begun doing the same so I figured that hey, if it was happening to Mike D, Ad Rock and MCA then it could happen to all of us and maybe I could wear it similarly well. (I don't, but it's not the hair, it's because I'm not an internationally famous musician and didn't create some of the greatest party rock anthems of all time. So.)

Adam Yauch was 47. When I first heard License to Ill that seemed old. Now it seems very, very young.


No comments: