27 April 2017

'The Chronic' Doesn't Mean What It Used to Mean

Hi! If you were/are a frequent visitor to the blog you probably noticed that posts have really fallen off lately.

The reason is that I have been having some problems with my back, and I am in a lot of pain, all the time. Chronic pain is a bummer. Like, a real bummer.

You learn a lot when you are in pain. For instance, I learned in one of my psychology books that humans can become desensitized to almost everything. The only exceptions are very loud noises and chronic pain. : /  (This was in Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman).

More fun facts: did you know that one of the few things besides crushing poverty that will reliably make you unhappy is chronic pain? I didn't know either! (LOL actually I did because I've been living it, but it was fun to read in a book, in this instance it was Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.)

So things are not good. They might get better. They might not. Life is uncertain. If you want some excellent books to read I highly recommend both Thinking Fast and Slow and Sapiens. In between you should take a nap.

More later as I am able. Thanks for dropping by.

No comments: